John’s Gospel tells us that Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in his book (John 20:30). Likewise, I think it’s safe to say that Jesus said a lot more than is recorded for us. For today’s Thursday Thirteen, I’ve chosen 13 of Jesus’ sayings, or commands, that are difficult. By difficult, I mean hard to do.
1. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.
2. Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No.’
3. Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
4. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
5. If you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
6. Do not be anxious…Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
7. Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
8. An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign. (When some scribes and Pharisees asked for Jesus to give them a sign).
9. If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
10. Unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
11. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
12. You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
13. Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
All of these came from Matthew’s Gospel.
Updated to add that Elle has written a companion Thursday Thirteen of Jesus’ promises and encouragements from the gospel of Matthew. Her list will lift your heart!